Whale Shark Researcher for a Day (departs from La Paz)
Whale sharks are the true “gentle giants” of the oceans. The largest fish on the planet, these gentle beasts return yearly to the coast just off La Paz. Join the Whale Shark México team led by scientist Deni Ramírez in their efforts to learn more about these magnificent creatures and support their protection.
The fascinating whale shark (Rhincodon typus) is a slow-moving filter feeding shark and the largest known living fish species. The largest confirmed individual had a length of 41.5 ft and a weight of approximately 47,000 lb, and unconfirmed reports of considerably larger whale sharks exist. The whale shark holds many records for sheer size in the animal kingdom, most notably being by far the largest living non-mammalian vertebrate.
The whale shark is found in open waters of the tropical oceans and have very large mouths and are filter feeders, which is a feeding mode that occurs in only two other sharks, the megamouth shark and the basking shark. They feed mainly on plankton and are considered harmless to humans.
Join the Whale Shark Mexico team, led by scientist Deni Ramirez, and contribute in the field to furthering scientific knowledge that will help to better understand and protect these beautiful creatures.
Your Whale Shark Researcher for a Day (departs from La Paz) includes the following:
- Bilingual whale shark research specialist
- Round trip transportation
- Boat trip
- All equipment required
- Bottled water
- Tour duration: 4 hours
- Tour schedule: 09:00 AM daily
- Tour departure: from selected hotels (details will accompany your reservation confirmation)
- This tour operates from January through March
- Clients who are under the influence of alcohol or drugs will not be allowed to participate
Please bring the following to your Whale Shark Researcher for a Day (departs from La Paz):
- Biodegradable sunscreen/repellent
- Hat and sunglasses
- Swimsuit and towel
- Cool, comfortable clothing and a light sweater (during winter months)
- Closed or sport sandals, or wet shoes
- Extra $$ for tips etc…