Mountain Canyoneering Adventure: Matacanes
Matacanes is a canyon set deep in the beautiful Sierra de Santiago, a string of mountains just south of the city of Monterrey, the industrial capital of northern Mexico. The incredibly green vegetation is a mix of pine and oak forest on your way to the top, and a wild transition to a jungle-like environment once you enter the canyon for the descent.
Matacanes is both a climbing and a canyoneering experience, one that will put your stamina to the test. This innocent, one day trip, will begin to amaze you after only the first two hours of exposure to the canyon’s crystal clear, cold water, and the slippery, ankle-twisting boulders that you have to negotiate on the way down.
Add to that an 80 foot long rappel alongside a waterfall, another into a huge cave with an interior lake, more cold water, and the notion that you are only halfway into the canyon, and Matacanes will not only get your undivided attention, but will leave you wanting to come back for more.
With transport: $139
Your Mountain Canyoneering Adventure: Matacanes includes the following:
- Bilingual staff
- Round trip transportation (optional)
- Certified canyoneering guides
- All adventure equipment required
- Bottled water
- Tour duration: 8 hours
- Tour schedule: 6:00 AM Monday to Friday; March to September
- Tour departure: Hotel Cola de Caballo (details will accompany your reservation confirmation)
- Age restrictions: minimum age 10 years; children 10 to 13 years to be accompanied by a paying adult
- Pregnant women will not be allowed to participate
- Persons who suffer serious heart or lung diseases, who have been recently operated on, or who have serious back or neck problems will not be allowed to participate
- Persons who suffer vertigo or any type of convulsive disorder will not be allowed to participate
- Use of certain medications may result in activity restrictions
- Clients who are under the influence of alcohol or drugs will not be allowed to participate
Please bring the following to your Mountain Canyoneering Adventure: Matacanes:
- Walking or hiking shoes
- Extra $$ for tips, etc.