Indigenous Community Encounter (5 days)
The development of a fair trade economy based on responsible, sustainable tourism is one of the foundational pillars of indigenous community survival. Explore the real world success stories of Oaxaca’s internationally recognized Commonwealth Village Project and see firsthand how locally owned and managed enterprises combine respect for the natural environment and regional culture with tangible profitability.
Visit two community owned companies in Oaxaca City that provide wood and spring water products respectively.
Transfer to and overnight in the community of Benito Juarez.
Visit the ecotourism centre of Benito Juarez.
Lecture on the history and development of the Commonwealth Village Project.
Tour through Mr. Eli’s organic farm.
Lookout point at Benito Juarez.
Overnight in Benito Juarez.
Hike to the community of La Nevería.
Volunteer work in the community greenhouses.
Overnight in La Nevería.
Transfer to the ecotourism center of Cuajimoloyas.
Hike through Coyote Canyon to “La Parcela” cabañas.
Lecture on the history and development of “La Parcela” and the regional wild mushroom fair.
Overnight in Cuajimoloyas.
Transfer to the ecotourism center of Llano Grande.
Lecture on the history and development of “Llano Grande”.
Walk in forest.
Return transfer to Oaxaca City.
Price: from $245
English speaking guide: additional $60 p/day
Your Indigenous Community Encounter (5 days) includes the following:
- Round trip transportation from Oaxaca City
- Entrance fees to the Commonwealth Village Project
- 3 day hikes (with local guides)
- 4 conferences on the Commonwealth Village Project
- 1 visit to the Forestry Project
- 1 visit to local organic farms
- Zip lines
- 1 visit to community greenhouse
- 14 meals (5 breakfasts, 5 lunches, 4 dinners)
- 4 nights accommodation (private cabañas)
- Travel insurance
- Tour duration: 4 nights, 5 days
- Tour departure: from Oaxaca City (details will accompany your reservation confirmation)
- Tour group size: minimum 10 persons
- Activity level: easy
- Clients who are under the influence of alcohol or drugs will not be allowed to participate
Please bring the following to your Indigenous Community Encounter (5 days):
- Biodegradable sunscreen/repellent
- Small backpack
- Comfortable clothing for included activities (hiking, biking and/or horseback riding)
- All clothing neutral colors (bright colors are not permitted)
- Comfortable hiking/walking shoes
- Hat for sun protection
- Items for personal hygiene (soap is provided)
- Sweater or jacket
- Raincoat (during rainy season)
- Jacket, gloves, cap and scarf (during winter months)
- Extra $$ for souvenirs, tips etc…