The Heart of Oaxacan Culture Hiking Tour (7 days)
The spectacular Sierra Norte mountain range of Oaxaca is not only one of the richest zones of biodiversity, boasting 400 species of birds, 350 species of butterflies and 9 types of endemic vegetation, but is also home to the ancient Zapotec, Mixe, Chinantec, Tlaxcaltec and Nahua cultures. Discover these indigenous cultures who live in this remote region, explore the pristine natural environment of rural Mexico and admire the incredible beauty of this region on an unforgettable 7 day hiking adventure.
Transfer from Oaxaca City to the community of Cuajimoloyas.
Hike through pine and cloud forest along the “La Cucharilla” route to the community of Latuvi.
Visit Mrs. Julia, a local artisan who prepares the ancient drinks of pulque and tepache.
Overnight in Latuvi.
Hike to the community of La Nevería.
Tour of the the community greenhouse development project.
Overnight in La Nevería.
Hike to the community of Benito Juarez along the community farming trail.
Zip lines and hanging bridge.
Overnight in Benito Juarez.
Hike to the community of Cuajimoloyas, capital of the wild mushrooms.
Zip line (3,000 feet).
Yaa-cuetzi lookout point.
Overnight in Cuajimoloyas.
Hike at 10,000 feet through pine and oak forest to the community of Llano Grande.
Overnight in Llano Grande.
Traverse high altitudes and sharp changes in elevation along this challenging 14-mile route to the community fo Amatlán.
Visit the local museum in the village of Amatlán.
Campfire with indigenous legends.
Overnight in Amatlán.
Hike through the mining region of Amatlan.
Underground river tour.
Return transfer to Oaxaca City.
Price: from $345
English speaking guide: additional $60 per day
Your The Heart of Oaxacan Culture Hiking Tour (7 days) includes the following:
- Round trip transportation from Oaxaca City
- Entrance fees to the Commonwealth Village Project
- 7 day hikes (with local guides)
- 2 picnics
- 1 visit to local pulque producers
- 1 fireside indigenous legends evening
- 1 visit to local organic farms
- Bird watching
- 1 visit to local museum
- 19 meals (6 breakfasts, 7 lunches, 6 dinners)
- 6 nights accommodation (private cabañas)
- Travel insurance
- Tour duration: 6 nights, 7 days
- Tour departure: from Oaxaca City (details will accompany your reservation confirmation)
- Tour group size: minimum 2 persons
- Activity level: medium
- Clients who are under the influence of alcohol or drugs will not be allowed to participate
Please bring the following to your The Heart of Oaxacan Culture Hiking Tour (7 days):
- Biodegradable sunscreen/repellent
- Small backpack
- Comfortable clothing for included activities (hiking, biking and/or horseback riding)
- All clothing neutral colors (bright colors are not permitted)
- Comfortable hiking/walking shoes
- Hat for sun protection
- Items for personal hygiene (soap is provided)
- Sweater or jacket
- Raincoat (during rainy season)
- Jacket, gloves, cap and scarf (during winter months)
- Extra $$ for souvenirs, tips etc…